How do you go about searching for a Los Angeles home for sale?
If you are like the majority of Los Angeles homebuyers you start your search online. After all you can buy almost everything online these days including, believe it or not, supposedly stem cells. But unless you are a doctor would you attempt to buy stem cells online?
The same thing goes for such an important transaction as your future home. Finding a Los Angeles home for sale is not a simple process, let alone buying one. There are so many sites on which you can do the research, and a lot of information to process, much of which can be misinterpreted. I get so many calls from people wanting to see homes which are already in escrow or off the market, or turn out to be a scam.
I understand the desire to try and do the home search on your own. There is no pressure. No agent pushing you when you don’t want to be pushed. Many of us walk into a store, and when the salesperson comes over and asks if they can help we generally say “no thank you, I’m just looking”. I have learned that phrase in many languages. But we are there to buy, and our time would be less wasted if we accepted that offer of help.
The same with buying a home in Los Angeles. You are not “just looking.” You could use the help and save yourself a lot of heartache and wasted time.
What can a Los Angeles Realtor® do that you can’t do on your own? Let me count the ways:
- You may, or may not know, unless you are paying all cash, that you are required to be pre-approved by a lender before making an offer on any property. No offer will be accepted without that pre-approval. If you don’t have anyone in mind, your Realtor® will have some referrals for you. Whatever you do, don’t get a do-it-yourself approval either, it will not be worth the paper on which it is written. Here we go, back to why you need to deal with flesh and blood people
- How well do you know the neighborhoods in which you are searching? If you have specific requirements, why go through all the trouble of doing the research on each home, when your Realtor® will have the answers, and if they don’t they can do the work for you.
- Do you know the history of the home you are investigating? Did it fall out of escrow recently, and if so, why? Are you going to try and call the listing agent on each one of the homes? Which leads me to…..
- Have you tried setting up appointments with listing agents? Do you know how difficult it can sometimes be, especially when you are trying to coordinate several showings at once. Guess who can take that load off your back!
- Oh, and no, you do not want to use the listing agent to purchase the home in which you are interested. Reasons for not doing so are included in an earlier post, “Understanding the Benefits of Using a Buyer’s Agent.“
- When you do find that perfect home, what next? You now need a strong negotiator to cement the deal for you. There can be a lot of back and forth between you and the Seller before you come to a meeting of the minds. Your Realtor® is going to have your back.
- Wouldn’t you love to sit back and have someone else take over the reins. All you have to do is sign the paperwork and come up with the money! And believe me, there is a ton of paperwork, much of which can be overwhelming.
- Do you know good certified home inspectors? Your Realtor® sure does. They have worked with them over the years and know the best ones. You need to find out everything there is about the house before committing to buying it. And your Realtor® will help you negotiate any repairs which need doing as a result, with your best interests in mind.
- During the course of escrow there are contingencies to be met by both sides. Your Realtor® will keep you honest and ensure that the other side meets their obligations also.
- And lastly, all these services are provided to you for free. If you connect with a good Realtor® and trust them, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You may find you have more to lose by not using the services of a Los Angeles Realtor® than you do by taking the leap and hiring one.
One thing I can promise you is that you will get no pressure from me, just the assistance you need in order to find the home you are going to love.
|Need Help? Have questions? Fill out the CONTACT FORM or call Jane at 310-351-9208
2 thoughts on “Need Help Buying a Los Angeles Property? 10 Reasons Why You Should Talk to a Realtor®”
The consequences of not using the services of a professional real estate agent can be devastating. While it could go smoothly, agents know what to look for and what questions to ask. You don’t want ot be the guy people talk about because you bought a ‘lemon!’
Well said, Trey.